Steveston is named for Manoah Steves who arrived from eastern Canada with his family in the late 1870's. It was Steves' son William Herbert who developed the townsite, which officially became Steveston in 1889. In 1871, Salmon canning began on the river, with the first major cannery being the Phoenix. By the 1890s there were 45 canneries, about half at Steveston.
Each summer large numbers of Japanese, Chinese, First Nations, and European fishers and cannery workers descended on the village, joining a growing year-round settlement. The fishery also supported a significant boatbuilding and shipbuilding industry. Sailing ships from around the world visited the harbour to take on cargoes of canned salmon.
The peak of civic aspirations was pre-World War I, when Steveston was promoted as "Salmonopolis", a supposed rival of Vancouver, but canning activity slowly declined and finally ceased in the 1990s. The Gulf of Georgia Cannery, built in 1894 and at one time the largest plant in British Columbia, was reopened as a national historic site in 1994, and remains open today, recently given an award for Canada's best historic site.
Today, Steveston remains an active fishing port and has developed its heritage character and waterfront to attract business and tourism. Garry Point is the major park in Steveston, located at the southwest tip of the community. It was named in 1827 to honour Nicholas Garry, former Deputy Governor of the Hudson's Bay Company, who used that part of the land to locate the navigatable entrance to the Fraser River.
4111 Moncton Street
Steveston Community Centre and adjacent park are located in Steveston on the north side of Moncton Street between No. 1 Road and Railway Avenue.
Facilities include a gymnasium, several multipurpose meeting rooms, the
Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre, a martial arts facility, three indoor tennis
courts, two outdoor courts, a lacrosse box, two softball diamonds, a fitness
track, playground, picnic area, outdoor basketball courts and a waterpark.
The Steveston Outdoor Pool and Steveston Public Library is also located at the facility.
4151 Moncton Street
Richmond's best kept secret. This outdoor pool is set in the Steveston Park,
adjacent to the Steveston Community Centre. It is home to the
"Kigoos", Richmond's Summer Swim Club.
The facility includes:
Lord Byng Elementary - 3711 Georgia St.
T. Homma Elementary - 5100 Brunswick Dr.
Steveston-London Secondary - 6600 Williams St
McMath Secondary - 4251 Garry Street
Ed Ganeff,B. Comm
*Personal Real Estate Corporation
#110 - 6086 Russ Baker Way Richmond, BC V7B 1B4 CA
Direct line: 604.723.2417